As females of the modern (well some might say post-modern) era, we carry the weight of the world in our bags. And in my opinion, if you want to get a true sense of the priorities of a gal, then see whats in her bag.
So in this inaugural edition of Whats in Your Bag?, I've offered a look in to the products I carry around with me on a daily basis which I trust to meet my life's demands. And currently, my life involves a seven-month old baby, frequent trips down the block to the beach, constantly shuttling between two houses, and trying to maintain my general fabulous-ness (ha!)...
So, what's in my bag?
- The Main Bag, AKA the "Big Kahuna", The Nor'easter Tote from L.L. Bean: When it came time to choose a diaper bag, I thought beyond a satchel to hold the baby's travel care needs. I knew the perfect diaper bag would have to be big enough to hold his, and my, necessities. The Nor'easter Tote was the perfect choice. All the durability and size of the traditional Boat and Tote, but with a few stylish touches.
- The Cartable Tote from Clare Vivier: Yes, thats right. Instead of carrying two bags all the time, I simply drop my purse into the Big Kahuna diaper bag. That way when I need to run into a store quickly with the baby, I just grab my purse out of the Big Kahuna and I'm on my way. The simple leather tote from L.A.-based designer Clare Vivier is one that I've relied on for almost two years now, and still going strong.
- The Baekgaard LTD Periwinkle Clutch Purse and Wallet: Simply put, this wallet just won't die. And six years after I purchased it from the famed Frock Boutique, I still get compliments on it every time I whip it out.
- Purrell Aloe Hand Sanitizer: Because we live in a germ-y world.
- Mr. Zogg's Sex Wax Surfwax: Ok so now we're beginning to touch on the fact that we're a family who surfs, and as such we're at the beach almost every weekend. So a bar of our favorite board wax can almost always be found in the Big Kahuna.
- MD Moms Baby Silk Sunscreen Towelettes: The beach theme continues here. And its easier to just leave things in the bag that we'll be using again a few days later than to risk taking it out and forgetting it in the mad dash to get to the ocean before the tide changes. These wipes are the perfect sunscreen solution for a baby of crazy surf parents like us.
- Sun Bum Sunscreen Spray SPF 30: When you're out in the sun like we are, you gotta protect your skin with the best stuff, and fast. This spray from Sun Bum does the trick for me and my fiance. Again, better to keep it in the bag than to risk forgetting it the next time you're out the door (believe me, its happened).
- Sun Bum SPF 30 Coconut Lip Balm: Your lips are one of the most overlooked areas that need sunscreen the most. I just keep it in my bag for when our puckers need some major protection and could use a little hydration.
- Banz Sun Hat for Baby: Because I don't believe it to be entirely appropriate to douse my baby's whole head in sunscreen every time he's out in the sun with us, he needs a hat. This hat from Banz is so lightweight, which makes for easy daily toting and is adjustable for his growing head. The fact that it protects from UVA/UVB rays is an uber-bonus.
- Nalgene 32oz Water Bottle: I drink a lot of water. Like, a lot of water. I always have to have this super-sized water bottle with me to stay hydrated and to keep feeling well.
- KIND Bar: I get hungry and hypoglycemic quite often. So much in fact my fiance call is "frequent bouts of 'hangery-ness'". So alongside my water bottle, is quite often a KIND bar to keep my hunger in check.
- Crabtree & Evelyn Gardner's Hand Therapy Lotion: Call me weird, but having dry, cracked hands drives me absolutely crazy. This hand therapy lotion from Crabtree & Evelyn is a Godsend and does the trick of revitalizing my hands every time.
- Bare Minerals Flip-Brush-Go Mineral Veil: This neat and tidy compact is an essential for keeping my oily-prone skin looking perfectly matte.
- EOS Smooth Sphere Lip Balm: This additional lip balm earns a place in my bag for two reasons: its super hydrating and it comes in such a cute shape in color. It just makes lip balm fun.
- SKIP*HOP Pronto Changing Station: Think of this as like a compact, but for changing your baby's diaper. The roll out mat provides a clean changing surface and the secure storage compartments hold all your changing accessories.
- Sophie La Girafe Teething Toy: My baby boy is teething big time, so his Sophie is his favorite toy these days. I always make sure to have Sophie with us when heading out the door so he has something to satisfy his itchy gums (versus the handrail of the shopping cart) and to entertain himself.
- Huggies Diapers: Duh. Thats why its called the diaper bag. Currently we're on the Huggies Snug and Dry in size three.
- Diaper Wipes: These clean up all types of messes, not just poopie diapers! Pampers Sensitive Wipes are currently my favorite, and their travel packs last just as long as the refillable wipe case (which in my experience are not very durable).
- Bebe au Lait Nursing Cover: One of the greatest things about breastfeeding is that you can pretty much do it anywhere. And this nursing cover allows you to do it discretely (even at the auto mechanic, if you can believe it). Aside from the cute prints and colors it comes in, the best part about the cover is the open neckline that allows you to keep eye contact with your nursing baby, and well, to see what the hell is going on under there. I don't think this cover ever leaves my bag, to be honest.
- Happy Baby Starting Solids Mango Pack: Because my seven-month old baby cannot live on breast milk alone and also suffers frequent bouts of "hangery-ness". So in case we're out and about a little longer than usual and eschew his lunch or dinner time I can easily slip him one of his favorite fruits to tie him over, mangoes!